A comprehensive website is a great way to show off your coding skills. Not only will it display your abilities and talents, but it can also be a valuable marketing tool for your business or personal brand. We’ll discuss the benefits of having a comprehensive website and provide tips on how to create one that will impress potential employers or clients.
When you’re coding a website, the hosting says a lot about your skills. shared hosting is great for small websites or those just starting. however, it doesn’t offer the same flexibility and power as VPS hosting. If you’re able to code a website that runs smoothly on VPS hosting, it’ll show that you have the skills to handle more complex projects. By using proper web hosting services, your website will also load faster which is important for user experience. Additional benefits of web hosting include:
- Security: With web hosting, your website will be more secure from attacks.
- Cross-Platform Support: If you want your website to be accessible on multiple platforms, you’ll need web hosting that can support that.
- Scalability: As your website grows, you’ll need a host that can accommodate the growth. VPS hosting is more scalable than shared hosting.
Your domain name is how people will find your website so it’s important to choose one that’s easy to remember and represents your brand well. For example, if you’re a freelance coder, you may want to use your name as your domain name. If you’re coding for a business, then the domain should reflect the business name. Once you have a domain name, you can set up your website and start coding. Domains can be purchased through a domain registrar such as GoDaddy or Namecheap.
When you’re designing your website, you’ll want to choose a design that demonstrates your coding skills. If you’re not a designer, there are plenty of great templates available online that you can use. Once you have a design, you can begin coding your website. If you’re not sure where to start, we recommend checking out HTML5 Boilerplate which is a great starting point for coding websites. For example, if you’re planning on using CSS3, you can use the initializer to create a template that includes all of the necessary files.
- If you want to show off your skills, you should include a portfolio on your website. Your portfolio should showcase your best work and demonstrate your skills. If you don’t have any previous work to showcase, you can create some sample projects. For example, you can create a simple website or blog using HTML and CSS. Once you have some work to showcase, potential employers will be able to see your skills and abilities.
Now that we’ve talked about the importance of having a comprehensive website, let’s go over some tips on how to create one:
- Use clear and consistent navigation: Navigation is important for both users and search engines. Search engines need to be able to easily crawl your website to index it properly. Users need to be able to find their way around your website with ease. using clear and consistent navigation will help with both of these things.
- Make sure your website is responsive: More and more people are using mobile devices to browse the web. This means that your website needs to be responsive to provide a good user experience.
- Use high-quality images: Images are a great way to add visual interest to your website. however, you need to make sure that they’re high-quality and relevant to your content.
- Optimize your website for search engines: For people to find your website, it needs to be properly optimized for search engines. This means using the right keywords and phrases, as well as having quality content.
- Keep your website updated: It’s important to keep your website up-to-date with the latest information. This includes adding new content regularly and making sure that all of your links are working.
If you’re using WordPress to power your website, then you need to make sure that you’re doing all you can to optimize it for search engines. Here are some tips:
- Install the Yoast SEO plugin: Yoast SEO is a popular plugin that helps you with optimizing your website for search engines.
- Choose a good theme: The theme you choose for your website can impact its SEO. Look for themes that are coded well and offer features like social media integration and responsive design.
- Use relevant and high-quality images: As we mentioned before, images are a great way to add visual interest to your website. however, you need to make sure that they’re high-quality and relevant to your content.
- Add fresh content regularly: One of the best ways to improve your website’s SEO is by adding new content on a regular basis. This could be in the form of blog posts, infographics, or even videos.
In addition to having a website, you should also focus on using social media to demonstrate your coding skills. Platforms like GitHub and Stack Overflow are great places to share your code snippets and projects. You can also use Twitter to share articles, blog posts, or even your own work. If you’re active on social media, you can use it to show off your skills and connect with potential employers. And, if you’re looking for a more personal way to connect with employers, you can always reach out to them directly through LinkedIn.
Having a comprehensive website is important if you want to demonstrate your coding skills. It shows that you’re able to code for different platforms and that you have a good understanding of how web hosting works. It also gives potential employers or clients a place to go to learn more about your skills. By following the tips we’ve outlined, you can create a website that will help you showcase your coding skills and land the job or client you want.