For new programmers, knowledge of HTML is essential to master. So, what is HTML? How many html elements does HTML have? Or How does HTML work?
Doctype HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is a collection of symbols or codes used to display on the internet. It is a programming language that describes the structure of the web.
This form of hypertext markup language allows you to build and restructure the html elements of your website. It is like Microsoft Word software that only affects the layout and format of the html pages.
Our article will explain the concept of HTML page and evaluate the advantages – disadvantages of this html hypertext markup language. Let’s check it out!
What is HTML?
Doctype HTML page is one of the first web languages that any programmer needs to master.
The full name of HTML is Hypertext Markup Language. Hypertext is a text that has the effect of referencing and indicating another part of the html file.
On the other hand, hypertext markup language HTML is a series of symbols that represent the style and structure of the doctype html document.
One does not call HTML a programming language because HTML is always static and does not create dynamic functions with class attribute.
Who Created HTML?
Tim Berners-Lee is the man who invented this type of markup language. The idea to create this language appeared in 1989.
At that time, he was an active physicist and worked at the CERN research center in Sweden. Physics research at CERN is done in collaboration with scientists from all over the world.
The idea is to create a place where everyone can connect and access html document through links. At this point, everyone needs access and must download to read. So when Tim proposed the idea, it received a lot of support.
Originally HTML page was a document called HTML tags. This first version comes out after two years of research and includes 18 HTML tags.
Then in 1999, the researchers released the doctype html 4.01 version, and it took only a year to develop and replace them with html file.
Until 2014, the developer upgraded HTML to HTML5. This version is still in use today. They integrate more tags into the markup and can clearly define the content, dividing them into categories like <article>, <header>, <footer>, etc.
Up to the present time, HTML is operated and developed by the W3C organization, the World Wide Web Consortium. So if you want to check the HTML status, you can visit the W3C website.
According to the Mozilla Developer Network, HTML currently has about 140 tags, including those that have been discontinued. Some titles may not work because current web browsers do not support them.
Advantages and Disadvantages of HTML
No matter how advanced technology or language is, it has its advantages and disadvantages. Of course, HTML file is no exception.
Here are the strengths and weaknesses of HTML that we put together.
- HTML has a considerable support resource because it was born so early. It is also for this reason that html documents have a huge and growing user community.
- HTML document can work relatively smoothly on current web browsers, such as IE, Chrome, FireFox.
- Many programmers consider HTML markups to be concise and highly consistent. So even if you are a new programmer, you can easily learn and grasp the basics relatively quickly. Some people say they can build a basic website framework in just a few weeks of learning.
- HTML document use open-source html code, so you can use it completely free.
- You can easily integrate html documents with backend languages like PHP, Node.js, etc. It helps you to create a complete website with all the features.
- HTML element requires each website to be separate, while such html elements are easy to duplicate.
- Some browsers do not yet support the new HTML elements feature
- On browser web pages, you have a hard time controlling how the HTML markup language is read and displayed.
How Does HTML Work?
Usually, websites will have several different HTML tags, and each subpage will be an HTML file. Two main HTML document files are “.html” or “.htm files”. In Chrome, Safari, Coccoc, you also can access and view these html file.
Every HTML document file includes a set of tags. They can create a structure similar to folders with an opening tag and a closing tag: heading, section, paragraph, etc.
A critical issue in the way HTML element works is its properties. An href attribute consists of two parts, a name, and a value. The name is the part that identifies the additional information, while the value represents the specifications the user wants to add.
How Many Elements Does HTML Have?
HTML element has more than 140 tags, and they all allow you to create different html elements. The two most used HTML tags are:
- Block-level element
- Inline root element
Block-level molecules always take up a lot of space, often appearing to span the width of a html page. It also starts with a new line. We aggregated and found block-level tags divided into three main categories:
- Title tag: has the largest size, distributed gradually from <h1> to <h6>.
- Paragraph tag: use <p> tag to include
- List tags: are variant tags, they include <ol>, <ul>, <li> . tags
Inline html elements do not start with a newline like block-level molecules, but they are content formats inside block-level molecules. It shows the strings of associations and emphasis that the programmer needs to add.
Most programmers use inline html elements to format text because it doesn’t disrupt the flow of content you’re building in cascading style sheets.