Many people have asked about my job as an eCommerce consultant. So, I have come up with this guide. If you have the same question, then it must be what you need to check.
In this post, I will share my own experience on the advantages and disadvantages of being an eCommerce consultant. Let’s get started!
An eCommerce consultant is an expert who uses their expertise to advise businesses on their eCommerce activities. They can help with marketing strategies, user experience, and finance.
The eCommerce consultant must have years of experience in the industry. They can work as office employees in a company, but they can also be freelancers.
eCommerce consultation includes many services. The clients, who can be businesses and individuals, choose which service they want and offer a deal. Mostly, the services are about analyzing potentials and competitive positions.
As an eCommerce consultant, I cover everything related to eCommerce. But my clients often ask me to:
- Optimize conversion rates on their online stores. I also run tests to identify the best way to improve them.
- Run ad campaigns to grow their online presence.
- Check their current product offerings and find room for improvements.
- Talk with suppliers for a better deal or product with a more efficient delivery timeline.
- Find new opportunities to grow their companies by improving their eCommerce stores and overall business.
Each job has pros and cons, and you should expect the same experience when working as an eCommerce consultant.
If you choose this career path, you will have a stable income and many career opportunities. The flexibility is another huge benefit.
According to ComputerCareers, in 2023, eCommerce consultants can earn around $122,276 per year. This rate will increase as you gain more experience and skills.
Your income is stable, too. Since you often work on long-term contracts, you can have a predictable income from ongoing projects.
The best thing I like about this job is that I can achieve a work-life balance. I can choose my clients and projects which align with my internet. This way, I can maintain my workload easily.
When needed, I will take on additional projects. Of course, I must ensure I deliver a high standard of work.
Similarly, I can choose where to work. I have to meet my clients and colleagues sometimes, and that’s all!
eCommerce works online. So, I can dive into my tasks with only a laptop and a good internet connection. This flexibility allows me to save much time on commuting.
I can even have foreign clients. On the internet, there is no limit to geographical locations! It’s also a precious chance for me to join different projects and experiments with different cultures!
If you want to step into this industry, you will have many career opportunities. For example:
- Industries: eCommerce is now everywhere. As a consultant, you can work with businesses from various industries. This diversity can surely widen your scope for expertise.
- Working mode: You can work full-time or become a freelancer. Interestingly, I’m taking both! As long as you can manage your time well, you can handle multiple projects at a time.
- Job growth: As you accumulate more experience, you can settle on higher-level positions. You can also try teaching jobs.
eCommerce is a dynamic industry. It means being a consultant allows you to stay at the forefront of new eCommerce trends. You can then provide the best solutions to your clients.
Now, let’s talk about the cons of being an eCommerce consultant. If you take this role, your work can be inconsistent. You will also have to compete with many other experts.
Your work is project-based with a defined start and end date. As a result, you will have gaps between the projects.
It would be best to plan your projects properly. For example, when one is approaching the end, start seeking another. This way, you can ensure income certainty.
Most eCommerce projects last up to a few months. You have to devote a lot of time and resources during that time.
However, it’s also a chance to dig deeply into a niche. You can also easily modify your strategies along the way.
You will surely join long-term projects. So, try to balance commitments and your ability to pursue diverse projects. If you stick to a project too long without any plan, you may not take on additional projects well.
This field is a surge, leading to intense competition. To remain competitive, you must possess many skills and extensive expertise.
While competition is a con, it also fosters self-development. Thanks to this chance, you can improve your skills and services every day.
You should consider this career path if:
- You have a deep understanding of eCommerce platforms and strategies. Plus, you love helping businesses succeed in the marketplace.
- Continuous learning doesn’t matter to you. Instead, you feel excited when exploring new things.
- You are good at communication. In the future, you will convey complex ideas to your clients and build a strong relationship with them.
- You like a flexible schedule that allows you to work anywhere.
- You have checked all the pros and cons I highlighted above and look forward to them.
Working as an eCommerce consultant lets you join many exciting projects, leading to various income sources. On the contrary, your work can be inconsistent. The competition for a good job in this field is intense, too.
Ultimately, consider your interests and skills when deciding your career path. Once you’ve made up your mind, stick to your goal and work hard! Then, you can become an excellent eCommerce consultant.