Solidity is known as the best programming language for smart contracts on blockchain platforms. So, if you want to step into this industry, learn how to become a Solidity developer.
You have to equip yourself with lots of knowledge and skills. Yet, I bet it must be exciting for every technology enthusiast. So if you are ready, let’s dig into the eight steps to becoming a successful Solidity developer!
Solidity is one of the most popular programming languages used in blockchain development. This object-oriented language has different applications in blockchain, such as creating financial apps, smart contracts, or tokenization.
A Solidity developer is, in fact, a blockchain developer who creates smart contracts using Ethereum-based apps.
Solidity developers have to understand blockchain technology and related concepts, including decentralized apps (dApps) and smart contracts. They should also be excellent in Solidity syntax.
They often work with designers, product managers, and other developers. Then, together, they can ensure the reliability and security of smart contracts.
I’m a Solidity developer at a blockchain development company. It’s also the most common choice for other solidity developers. Besides, they can work for startups and big companies that adopt blockchain technology.
You can also work as a consultant or freelancer. Depending on your client’s requirements, your services will differ.
It would be best to obtain a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as computer science or engineering. Otherwise, you can earn certificates instead.
Whatever you choose, ensure you master the fundamentals and tools needed for your future job. You should be proficient in programming and develop soft skills.
I spend most of my time developing and maintaining apps. Yet, this task involves other things. Here is what I do every day:
- Learn client needs: My clients’ requirements act as the guidelines for what I will develop. So, I interact with them directly to learn their needs.
- Develop smart contracts: Then, based on what I have learned, I develop, implement, and maintain smart contracts.
- Improve apps: I also monitor the apps’ performance. If needed, I will improve them by adding new features.
- Ensure the integration: My Solidity codes run across blockchain platforms. As a Solidity developer, I have to ensure their integration into those systems.
- Fix issues: Blockchain systems may malfunction sometimes. Hence, I must analyze the issues and develop solutions.
- Improve technical solutions: Before applying the solutions to actual cases, I assess them first. I keep improving them so they can deal better with the same problems in the future.
- Work with stakeholders: Sometimes, I work with stakeholders to brainstorm new ideas for the next project.
Your journey to becoming a Solidity developer starts now! There are eight steps to take below.
Firstly, learn blockchain fundamentals. You have many things to work on, but one of the most important concepts are:
Web3 is a series of interconnected and open-source dApps. They run on a blockchain architecture.
Web3 is the upgraded version of Web2. It allows you to read and write blockchain programs easily. The enhanced security is another plus.
This technology also leans on AI to create computer systems. This way, your blockchain apps will respond to requests quickly. They will also give your clients a seamless experience.
Cryptocurrencies are virtual or digital currencies used in cryptographic systems. They allow for more secure online transactions.
Smart contracts are codes in a blockchain. They can execute terms and automate actions in a contract or agreement. Once done, the transactions will be irreversible.
Technical concepts here include Ethereum and EVM. All of them are important for creating smart contracts.
Ethereum is a decentralized platform for developing peer-to-peer networks. It can then execute and verify app code for smart contracts.
This platform is flexible. You can use it to develop dApps using Solidity. The rich ecosystem of tools and features will surely assist with your development task.
EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine) refers to a computation system for Ethereum. As a Solidity developer, you will need it to manage your blockchain and enable the smart contract’s functionality.
Spend your time learning IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and its Remix version, too. Since you work with Solidity, focus on Remix IDE as it’s the best IDE for this programming language. You can also use it for all levels of blockchain development.
Your job as a Solidity developer will be difficult. Luckily, many Solidity tools can help. I have tried these options, and they are truly my life-savers.
Your primary task is to develop smart contracts. You can try the two tools below for it:
- Truffle: This framework can help simplify the contract development process. It offers tools like asset pipeline and development control to speed up your work.
- Hardhat: The plugin system in Hardhat allows you to develop its functionality and employ it in your development process.
After developing the contracts, you have to test them. In this case, consider the following tools:
- Ganache: This local blockchain helps you test smart contracts. To use it, you just need to put the contracts in simulated environments. Then, use the built-in web3 and interface in Ganache to test them.
- Solhint: If you need a tool to check for errors in your Solidity code, go for Solhint. You can integrate it into your smart contract’s environment. After that, you will see real-time tests on the code.
- MythX: This security analysis tool is excellent for smart contracts. Its automated scanning system can assist you in identifying potential issues before launching the contracts.
Running smart contracts is complicated. Fortunately, it will be easier if you use one of these tools:
- Infura: You can use this scalable structure to access the Ethereum network. This way, you don’t have to run a local node.
- Etherscan: There are many interesting features in this tool. For example, you can check transaction details and monitor contract activities.
- OpenZeppelin: This tool allows you to reuse old components in your previous smart contracts. Hence, you can save time on repeated tasks.
Learning from books and online sources is good, but it’s not enough. So, let me share another tip here: networking.
Joining communities with other Solidity developers is an excellent chance to meet up with the top players in this industry. They’ll teach you valuable lessons.
Moreover, you can ask for job openings. Some companies seek talented Solidity developers but don’t advertise their recruitment. Yet, their employees may know and tell you about it.
You can also earn certificates to dig into a particular aspect of Solidity development. There are many online classes to help you get certified.
This course is suitable for intermediate developers. By attending it, you can learn how to write smart contracts in Solidity.
The course costs $49 a month. There are five sessions to cover. You can also practice with hands-on exercises on EVM.
If you want to gain blockchain fundamentals and master Solidity, go for this course. It also focuses strongly on dApps.
This course lasts for four months. You can get the whole plan at $1,876. Otherwise, choose the monthly plan, which is $549 per month.
Ethereum is an important part of blockchain development. If you prioritize it, consider getting this certificate. By the end of this Ethereum course, you can build a functional dApp properly.
To access the course, you just need to subscribe to LinkedIn Learning. Its monthly package costs only $29.99. You can also join other courses on the platform after subscription.
Even when working as a Solidity developer, I never stop working and honing my skills. There is no limit for self-improvement. And I know that my skills are the strongest weapons to overcome challenges at work.
If you want to become a Solidity dev, start honing your skills today. Here are some things you should focus on:
- Programming: Before being a Solidity developer, you have to be a software developer first. Thus, practice your programming skills. Of course, Solidity is your top priority.
- Attention to detail: Blockchain development is complex because even a small mistake in your code will prevent the app from running properly. Hence, you must pay attention to detail.
- Continuous learning: Blockchain technology is changing rapidly. So ensure you always keep up with the latest trends.
Experience can help you expand your knowledge and perfect your technical skills. Plus, employers prefer experienced Solidity developers.
You can execute small-scale projects to get practical experience. They can be as simple as creating a voting app or making a token. Then, progress to more complicated projects.
You can also participate in programming contests. They will test your knowledge and skills. And if you get the prize, it will become an outstanding achievement in your resume.
Consider taking an internship, too. You can network with other skilled Solidity developers when working as an intern. You may also have a full-time offer if you perform well.
Finally, apply for a Solidity developer job. You need to update your resume to highlight what you have. It should align with the job requirements.
Don’t forget to prepare a good portfolio to attach to your resume. Your potential employers will check your work and judge if they match their expectations.
When everything is ready, search for job openings on LinkedIn or Glassdoor. You can also check Web3 job boards. They are where blockchain companies gather to seek talent.
In 2023, a Solidity developer in the USA can earn about $82,216 per year. You will get better pay if you can prove yourself.
Other factors may affect your salary, too. For example, if you have more experience, your employers won’t mind paying more to hire you.
There are many reasons why you should become a Solidity dev.
- Firstly, this programming language is the best stepping stone for those who want to work in the blockchain industry. This high-level language is specifically built for this sector.
- Moreover, Solidity development is a promising job. Software developers are in high demand, but only a few can use Solidity well. So if you choose this career, you will have more chances to shine.
- Plus, this job is well-paid. The more experience you have, the higher your salary.
It may be tough to work in this position because it requires knowledge of blockchain and programming. You must also master the tools and platforms that Solidity developers often use at work.
There are two things to work on: programming and blockchain. These two aspects consist of many concepts, tools, platforms, and software. So, deal with them one by one to become a skilled Solidity developer.
Yes. Blockchain development is growing. Hence, many companies seek excellent Solidity developers to handle their smart contracts.
To become a Solidity developer, you need to learn a lot about programming and blockchain concepts. Skills and experience are also crucial for your future job.
Every journey to your dream job will be hard, especially if you try something new like Solidity. My last piece of advice is to follow your passion and work with commitment. You will become a good Solidity developer soon!